Dec 19, 2011

Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar


I'm by no means the biggest fan of David Millar; however I was intrigued by the reformed doper's story and greatly looked forward to reading his autobiography; Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar.


This is one of the most well written and insightful pro cycling related books I have ever read. Showing an amazing flare for the written word; Millar takes us on a frank warts and all journey from his humble  beginnings and rise through the sport to the top of the pro-peloton; down through the murky depths of the darkest period of his life as a drug cheat and eventual redemption and return to the pinnacle of the pro-peloton.


Millar talks in graphic detail of how against ridicule he began staunchly against doping; and yet how over time he was worn down and ended up justifying the eventual decision to dope as almost something of a  responsibility as the leader of a professional cycling team.

What strikes me as really amazing in David Millar's story is that the best of performances came about when he was not doping... how's that for irony, go figure!


Millar may not be your favourite cyclist, but if you are a pro cycling fan (and share more than a passing interest in the ongoing 'doping' saga) I thoroughly encourage you to give this book a read.

I'm no literary genius and my opinion counts for try little; but for what it's worth I give this book a 10 out of  10 on the Eddie Merckx Cannibal scale.

~VL