Jun 23, 2011

A tribute to the Micropump


I have a confession to make, despite my best attempts to look like one, I am not a pro cyclist (clearly)!! If I was I would have a Skoda estate following me around and on the bike in case I need a quick wheel change and a push up the road whenever I get a flat.

Unfortunately like most mere cycling mortals I have to change my own tyres and when the need arises I still carry an old fashioned hand pump with me on every ride. I know that in order to be getting one tiny step closer to ‘pro’ I should be carrying some fancy gas canisters so I can quickly change the tube, pop a canister and get back on the bike within two minutes, but something within me resists the urge to change, I just can’t make the switch. Perhaps I am trying to maintain a link with the days of yonder... a kick back to a simpler time?

Carried with me in my jersey for thousands of kilometres, this trusty old friend has bailed me out more times than I can remember. Sure she is not quite as compact and shiney as those fancy new gas canisters, but good old faithfull never runs out of puff and always manages to get the job done when called into action… even if a fair bit of effort is required!


Over time a number of my riding buddies have given me a hard time for sticking with the pump and not making the switch to canisters, only to later call on her for assistance when their canisters have run dry during a botched tyre change.

Purchased for $35 a few years ago from a local sporting goods store, I think this would have to come close to being one of the best purchases I have ever made. As time goes by it proves itself such a worthy purchase… kinda like that Peter Andre album that just gets better with every listen.



With that I say thank you to my old friend the Micropump. You have been there for me whenever I have needed you. No matter what the event, be it nails, glass or a pinch flat; you have always been on hand to pump me back up whenever I was feeling a little flat.

You are truly the best friend I hope that I never have to see.

~VL